Looking for a house to live in was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Coupled with the excitement of finally having my own home, I was also thrilled about checking one of the top items on my bucket list off.
I knew I wanted to live in as big a house as I could afford. I knew I wanted a huge yard so I could let my future dogs run around to their heart’s content. And I also knew that I wanted a fireplace. Nothing speaks cozy like a fireplace in your house. They’re a center of attention and a gathering place for all things, like reading a book, enjoying a meal, or just cuddling up with a significant other sipping hot chocolate. When I first saw the house I would eventually buy, one of the first things I noticed was the big black fireplace tucked underneath this huge stone column that ran from the basement all the way up to the roof. It was a gas fireplace, not one to place wood in. Although there was a wood burning stove in the basement. The entire first year I never used the fireplace because there was a powerful gas odor that would take over the entire house whenever I turned it on. I knew right away that I needed to have a service repairman come by and check it out. I had a maintenance service come out to repair it but the technician said the fireplace just needed cleaning. I’m so glad I could find a local service that could help restore my home comfort. Not to mention the fireplace was much more effective at heating the entire space than our heating system.